On June 29, 2021, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed new amendments into law that modified the state’s existing telemarketing regulations. Those amendments took effect two days later. These new regulations transform the state’s existing telemarketing laws—the Florida Telemarketing Act and the Florida Do Not Call Act—into a state-level version of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). In truth, it is an even riskier potential source of litigation than the TCPA due the fact that it bans autodialed calls without consent despite never defining what constitutes an autodialer.
Marketers are understandably concerned about this law and interested in learning how they can maintain compliance with it. On this page, we are compiling all of the most relevant information on Florida's new robocall bill from trusted sources.
- Florida Legislature Passes New, TCPA-like, State-Level Telemarketing Bill
- The Very First Class Action Under the New Florida Robocall Bill Has Been Filed - TCPAWorld
- Protect Yourself From Florida’s Mini-TCPA
- Florida's Mini-TCPA Litigation Focuses on Text Messaging
- READ ALL ABOUT IT– HERE IS YOUR DEFINITIVE LOOK AT THE NEW FTSA AMENDMENTS THAT JUST CHANGED EVERYTHING(Buckle Up) - TCPAWorld
- Florida Legislature Amends FTSA, Greatly Reducing Danger of ATDS Claims
- Breaking Down Florida's New Mini-TCPA with Aaron S. Weiss
Our own Neal Kent, Senior Consultant, spoke with Aaron S. Weiss, Partner at Carlton Fields on this 1-hour webinar where they covered Florida’s already infamous new telemarketing regulations.
- New Florida Mini-TCPA Law Explained Compliance Attorney with Eric Troutman - Convoso
In less than 20 minutes, compliance attorney Eric J. Troutman breaks down the July 2021 Florida bill in clear and simple terms.
- Florida State Telemarketing Guide
In the summer of 2021, the state legislature passed an overhaul of Florida’s existing, state-level telemarketing laws, creating something like a miniature Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). This guide examines the laws in their original form and after the overhaul, and offers best practices for Florida marketers.
- Eric J. Troutman's thorough analysis of the new law
- The Art of Obtaining Consent
This guide will take you through the ins and outs of consent, defining both standards of consent, explaining the relevant exemptions, offering best practices, and giving you a consent cheat sheet.
- State Calling Times Cheat Sheet
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) have calling time standards that are followed by the majority of states. However, many states have their own calling time standards. To simplify things, we’ve compiled all of the various calling time restrictions into a single chart.
The content on this page is for informational purposes only; the information herein is not intended to be legal advice; anyone reading this should not act, or refrain from acting, upon any of the information herein without consulting an attorney.